USD 440 is committed to providing students of the district quality and safe transportation. Our vehicles are regularly maintained and pass annual inspections by local law enforcement.
Our drivers are trained and licensed by the State of Kansas. They continue to keep current their skills and knowledge by attending annual workshops in defensive driving and by participating in monthly safety meetings.
The district maintains communication equipment for drivers that includes two-way radios and/or cell phones. During times of inclement weather, district office and transportation personnel monitor road conditions to make informed decisions about travel safety.
In an effort to further enhance safe transportation, USD 440 drills students in bus evacuation procedures and teaches behaviors that promote safety. USD 440 believes that transporting students safely is a team effort. We encourage parents and students to be informed and observe the guidelines that promote safety.
- The Transportation Department employs eight full time drivers, three substitute drivers and two bus monitors.
- The eight full time drivers have a combined total of 134 years experience of driving a bus.
- We run seven regular bus routes, two special education routes and one
- Vo/tech route in order to cover the district's 160 square miles.
- Students are transported to the three schools in our district as well as eight schools and facilities in Newton and one school in Wichita.
- An average of 370 students are transported twice a day.
- Approximately 4,390 miles are driven each week.
- These miles represent the use of 492 gallons of fuel per week.Bus routes begin at 6:15 A.M.
- Transportation vehicles consist of 15 buses and 13 cars, vans and trucks.