Learning for All!
Halstead Middle School has a fine and long tradition of developing and maintaining creative and exceptional educational opportunities for students. With a staff of quality educators, children attending HMS will receive an excellent education. Traditional programs exist along side programs supported by 21st century technology.
Students, grades Pre-K and 4-8th, are assigned to grade-level academic teams. These teams of teachers collaborate to assure individual attention to students' needs. Both students and teachers benefit from the personalized relationship.
Halstead Middle school observes many traditional events while introducing new activities for students and their families to enjoy. Each fall, students in fifth grade organize the Parade of States. In the spring there is an Art Show and Science Fair for grades 4-8th. Parents are encouraged to be part of the HMS experience. All students participate in a variety of exceptional learning experiences both in and outside of the classroom.
- Programs for students of all abilities
- Programs providing student assistance
- Algebra for eighth grade students
- Foreign language for seventh and eighth grade students
- Scholar's Bowl, Geography Bee and Spelling Bee competitions
- Duke Talent Search and Emporia Scholarship Testing
- After-school tutoring
- Seventh and eighth grade cross country
- Seventh and eighth grade football
- Seventh and eighth grade boys' and girls' basketball
- Seventh and eighth grade track
- Seventh and eighth grade volleyball
- Seventh and eighth grade wrestling
- Student Council
Instrumental and Choral Music Programs
- League band and choir competition
Science Fair and Art Show Technology Resources
- Well-equipped computer labs, with internet access
- Well-trained technology assistance personnel
- Mobile laptop computers, available for classroom and home use
- Parents for Kids
- All for Community-a parent-led organization emphasizing community involvement in the education of children